Pinterest

Wednesday 23 March 2016

The Boys Next Door just keep on coming...

I took a deep breath and stepped into the hallway,
“So I’ve got two tickets, a hotel booked for a fortnight
and no one to go with.” I pulled a face. It was all good so far...
“So take someone else.” Steve said.
Yes, I was coming to that... “Wanna come?” I knew damned well he couldn’t just book time off like that.
He pulled a face at me, “I can’t get the time off work – what about Jamie?” Shit! Hadn’t thought about Jamie; he’d been made redundant only a month back and he’d probably be absolutely stoked to go...
“He doesn’t fly, you know that.” I put on a huge sigh whilst high-fiving myself in my head that I’d pulled that out of the bag at the last nano-second.
“What about Shortcake?”
Bingo! I looked at him with a stupid look on my face – I really should have been an actor – this was an Oscar winning performance, “Madison?”
“Yeah – he’s never doing anything much.” Steve shrugged. I looked at him incredulously, that was a bit rich since he was busting his arse at uni – and I couldn’t see him letting him get away with that comment – Mads had more sass than a little... If he was around to listen of course. And that was a good point – where the hell was he? It was time to find out, “Well, I guess I could ask him.” I said doubtfully.
Steve nodded, a little grin tugging the corners of his mouth. He knew... he knew! “Hey – Madison?”
My heart started to thump. I was going to see him any second.
“Yeah?” I heard him shout from the lounge. He sounded completely disinterested. My confidence started to wane...
Steve rolled his eyes at me, “Come here a minute.”
He poked his head around the door of the lounge, looking really rather irritated that he was missing whatever it was he was watching. It sounded like ‘Open All Hours’ Really? Was he into that shit? “What’s up?” he asked looking directly at me even though it was Steve doing all the talking.
I grinned at him, feeling all of a sudden really awkward and shy. This was ridiculous – for years I’d been able to talk to him perfectly normally and then it hit me like a ton of bricks that I’d been in love with him since forever and now I couldn’t think of a damned thing to say...
I cleared my throat and tried to look confident and that I’d got my shit together. “Well, since my fiancé ditched me for an older and far less attractive model,” I couldn’t help it, I had to grin at his shocked face, “– I’ve kind of got a spare ticket for my honeymoon,” I took a deep breath and blurted it out, “– how do you fancy Alcudia for ten nights?” Please say yes, please....
“Are you joking?” he asked looking completely shell-shocked.
Wondering if I’d made the worst mistake of my life I shook my head and shrugged whilst still trying to look appealing, “No – I’ll be going on my own otherwise,” I could see that I was losing him; he didn’t want to come with me – oh God; I’d be a sad lonely bastard all on my own at this rate – or even worse, I’d look like I was with Jamie... “– we don’t have to spend time with each other twenty-four-seven or anything...”

He was nodding – that was a good sign... There was that smile I loved...
“Well – if you get a better offer in the meantime – take it – I’m sure I wouldn’t be your first choice,” How little he knew... “– but sure – I’d love a break!” He was smiling and looking really chuffed to be going on holiday – I wasn’t so sure he was all that chuffed that I’d be his holiday companion but I had ten days to break down his defences...
Steve snorted. “Your whole life is break!”
I was impressed with his fiery glare, “Have you any idea how hard it is to achieve the grades I got? I’m not one of your ‘let’s get pissed at every opportunity’ students you know – I work hard.”
They bickered between themselves for a couple of minutes and I was able to secretly admire him. I was really gonna miss him when he went abroad for six months...
He caught me slightly off guard as he turned to me and grinned, “Well, I guess I should go and get the cobwebs off my passport then.” He said before dashing off up the stairs. I heaved a sigh – partly out of relief that I’d got him to come with me – but mainly with disappointment that he’d gone so soon... 

Available now for pre-ordering at Amazon; Smashwords, iBooks, Barnes and Noble and Kobo....



No comments:

Post a Comment