Pinterest

Wednesday 16 November 2016

Pre- Order Alfie Now! Release date 31st January 2017...

I came out to my parents when I was fourteen years old. I’d known since I was small that I liked boys more than girls – not that I didn’t like girls – some of my sisters friends were really lovely and were my friends too. I found it difficult to be mates with guys – the fancying them bit always got in the way and I found that I was either annoying them – or flirting with them and that definitely interfered with being able to make proper friends. In fact I’d only really started making friends when I discovered the gay clubs and found guys there that I liked but didn’t fancy. I was rather proud of myself that I could now count Simon, Buzz and River as proper ‘mates’.
I had my first serious crush at twelve – on my brother George’s best friend – much to his horror – and his best friend’s utter bemusement – he really didn’t see how he could be attractive to another guy when he was straight... I know. “But I don’t understand, George – what the hell does he see in me? I’m straight...?” It clearly didn’t occur to him that as a gay boy, I fancied men whether they were gay or straight – it was just disappointing when they weren’t gay too...
When I finally plucked up the courage – after practicing in front of my mirror for days as to the best way to break the news – to tell my parents, it was kind of an anti-climax when they both looked at me, totally non-plussed.
“We know, son.” Dad said gently, “It’s been obvious since you were about five or six and always stripped your Action Men and put them in bed together...”
Mum took it upon herself to join a support group for parents with gay children – I didn’t even know such groups existed until she became the president of hers and decided to make it her mission to find out who every gay guy was in the area for me to consider dating. No, really... I kid you not.

Alfie... Pre-order now... Release date 31st January 2017...

No comments:

Post a Comment