Pinterest

Friday 10 August 2018

Coming Soon... When Noah Met Tobias (The Band #2)

“I’m not going to argue about this, Tobias.” Uncle David glowered at me over the top of his reading glasses, “You start on Monday – it’s not their busiest night so you can get used to it over the week before the weekend hits.”
I stared at him, “You’re expecting me to work every night of the week including the weekend?” He has to be winding me up...
Uncle David nodded, not a hint of a smile or any sort of forgiveness in his expression. I’d really fucked up this time... “You will work seven days straight and then you can have three days off, then back in for seven and then three days off – the same as every other employee.”
But I wasn’t just one of the employees. I was the boss’s son and heir even if that fact did stick in both of our throats... “And what did my father say about this?” Surely he’d have at least a little heart left for me?
Uncle David smirked, “He said I was being overly generous and that you should be working your sorry arse off in the kitchens every night straight for a month instead of the front of house, so you can thank me for getting you a better deal.”
I blanched. I’d been in those kitchens ten years ago when I was fourteen and Dad had wanted me to follow in his footsteps as a chef. Uh, no thanks... Not for me... “Right. So, I’m a waiter, huh?” I tried a winning smile that probably came across as a grimace, “Well, I guess I have do my bit towards my keep... Yeah, okay. I’ll do it – what do I have to wear?”
Uncle David pinched the bridge of his nose. I was quite clearly giving him a headache, “Your father, as you well know, is one of the top chefs in this country – with three Michelin stars and five very successful restaurants – do you seriously think we don’t have corporate clothing?”
I winced, “Oh, God.” I muttered, “Please tell me they’re tailored?”
He smiled at my petulance, “Corporate clothing for Duvall employees doesn’t do ‘one size fits all’,” he said pompously, “You’re working for one of the most prestigious companies in the country. You will report for duty as Lawrence Prince – that way the paparazzi hopefully won’t get wind of you. No one will ever remember that you were once little Toby Prince.”

No comments:

Post a Comment