Sunday, 13 October 2013

Smoke and Mirrors... out now

“Are you alright, man?” Jake was looking at me, a concerned look on his face. I sighed. He was the only person that had really shown any interest or friendliness towards me in all the time I’d been here – which seemed like forever but was a...ctually only three weeks.
“Not really,” I sighed, “My life kind of sucks.”
“Join the club, man,” Jake nodded, “The sunshine state is a big crock of shit.”
I raised an eyebrow, “So what’s your story?”
He shrugged, “My mother’s an alcoholic and Dad left.”
I frowned. That didn’t sound great.
He was looking at me expectantly, “You?”
I shrugged, “Well, I have both parents; we live this perfect life that everyone sees – but it’s all smoke and mirrors.”
Jake’s eyes lit up at my description, “Smoke and mirrors – I like that – we’ll call our first album Smoke and Mirrors.”
I smirked, “Okay,” I said, “Would you like me to tell you or not?”
“Sure,” He shrugged. I could tell he did want to know, he was just trying to act all cool – everyone around here did that I found – it was like they were all trying to be something they weren’t. Jake wasn’t bad – and I guessed he was just trying to get through the best way he could.
“Well, Mom and Dad pretty much hate each other, my sister is like this untouchable princess that can’t do anything wrong and I’m a total loser that Dad hates.” I stopped talking. I’d probably said too much; it wasn’t really great to air your dirty laundry in public and all that…
“And he beats you up?” Jake said, eyeing my chest where I was absent-mindedly rubbing it.
I hesitated. What was the point in denying it? “Yeah, that’s about the top and bottom of it.” I said.
“You’re right – your life sucks.” He grinned “So let’s make it better.”


https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/278128